Spanakopita has a superbly crisp and flakey exterior with a scrumptious and comforting tacky, spinach filling. It’s a traditional and savory Greek pie that may be a dish that the whole household will love!
Okay, I do know that the identify sounds fancy and intimidating however this recipe is NOT that! Spanakopita is a Greek dish! A savory and creamy spinach pie if you’ll. It’s made with fillo dough which is skinny, layered sheets of dough that resemble the feel of tissue paper. It offers this pie the BEST texture and the flakes soften in your mouth whenever you take a chunk!
The filling on this dish is made with Greek yogurt, feta cheese, and an array of scrumptious spices! You combine all of it up collectively to make a creamy filling that you simply then cook dinner in your fillo crust. As soon as this has been baked then you definately serve it up and you’ll eat it heat or chilled! That makes this recipe good for leftovers as a result of it tastes simply nearly as good the subsequent day! It goes so effectively with this hummus and chicken!
Elements in Spanakopita
The substances to this are literally fairly easy! Collect them up and hurry and make this. It’s not a recipe that you simply need to miss out on!
- Frozen spinach: Make it possible for your spinach is thawed and effectively drained.
- Flat-leaf parsley, Chives and Dill: Chop these all up finely.
- Garlic cloves: For those who don’t have any recent garlic cloves readily available then you need to use minced garlic. ½ tsp equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Inexperienced onions: These not solely herald a stupendous shade to go together with the spinach however the taste they add is so good!
- Lemon juice: You should use recent lemon juice or from a bottle.
- Further virgin olive oil: This retains the recipe mild.
- Eggs: The eggs bind the entire substances collectively.
- Feta cheese: Don’t attempt to substitute this for an additional cheese. The feta is traditional to this dish.
- Greek yogurt: I really like how this provides a creamy texture.
- Salt and Pepper: These wil season all of it up!
- Fillo dough: Your dough must be absolutely thawed earlier than baking this spanakopita.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter on this recipe.
Let’s Make Some Spanakopita!
Get out your substances as a result of it’s time to make some spanakopita! You’ll love this dish. It’s fast and simple and one thing distinctive so as to add to any meal!
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven to 325°
- Mix spinach and spices: In a big bowl, mix the effectively drained spinach (I squeeze it in a sieve after which in some paper towels to get all the surplus water out), parsley, dill, chives, garlic, and inexperienced onions collectively.
- Add the remainder of the substances: Add the lemon juice, olive oil, eggs, feta cheese, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper. Stir till totally mixed.
- Put together fillo dough: Brush the underside and sides of a 9×13 pan with melted butter and add two sheets of fillo dough. Overlap it so the underside and sides of the pan are coated. Proceed to brush the layers with butter, including extra fillo dough till you will have about 12-15 layers of dough.
- Add the filling, high with fillo sheets and bake: Unfold the filling evenly within the pan and add 2 sheets of fillo dough on high and brush with butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets, about 12-15, layering 2 sheets at a time and brushing with butter. Attempt to save 2 sheets that haven’t ripped for the highest layer. Brush with butter and bake for 50-60 minutes, till the fillo dough is golden brown. Serve heat or chilled.
Working with Fillo Dough
As a result of utilizing fillo dough to make this spanakopita will be difficult, I’ve some ideas that can assist you work with it in order that it doesn’t break. However first, know that a few the items are going to interrupt and tear and that’s okay! Simply just be sure you have just a few items left which are intact for the highest.
- Thaw it! Keep in mind to thaw your dough within the fridge a few day earlier than you could use it. If it’s not thawed then you definately gained’t be capable to get the entire layers that you simply want out of it.
- Learn how to hold the fillo dough plyable: Earlier than you begin utilizing the dough, get two barely damp kitchen towels and put the dough between the 2. This can hold the dough from breaking.
- Use the oil: The additional virgin olive oil not solely retains the recipe lighter but it surely helps your fillo dough. You don’t need to use too a lot oil however utilizing this to brish on between the layers helps them stick collectively and never tear.
Learn how to Retailer Leftovers
Leftover spanakopita is scrumptious the subsequent day as a result of you possibly can eat it heat or chilly! Right here is how one can retailer your further for later.
- Fridge: As soon as your spanakopita has cooled then place it in an hermetic container in your fridge. It’ll final about 3 days.
- Reheat: You possibly can reheat this within the oven at 325 levels for about quarter-hour or till heated via.
Preheat the oven to 325°
In a big bowl, mix the well-drained spinach (I squeeze it in a sieve after which in some paper towels to get all the surplus water out), parsley, dill, chives, garlic, and inexperienced onions collectively.
Add the lemon juice, olive oil, eggs, feta cheese, Greek yogurt, salt, and pepper. Stir till totally mixed.
Unfold the filling evenly within the pan and add 2 sheets of fillo dough on high and brush with butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets, about 12-15, layering 2 sheets at a time and brushing with butter. Attempt to save 2 sheets that haven’t ripped for the highest layer. Brush with butter and bake for 50-60 minutes, till the fillo dough is golden brown. Serve heat or chilled.
Energy230kcal (12%)Carbohydrates4g (1%)Protein7g (14%)Fats21g (32%)Saturated Fats14g (70%)Polyunsaturated Fats1gMonounsaturated Fats5gTrans Fats1gLdl cholesterol93mg (31%)Sodium542mg (23%)Potassium218mg (6%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar2g (2%)Vitamin A5538IU (111%)Vitamin C10mg (12%)Calcium196mg (20%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary data is predicated on third celebration calculations and is just an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.