These stuffed cabbage rolls are SOO GOOD! These are full of lean floor beef, onion, garlic, dill, and only a trace of nutmeg. The cabbage rolls are slow-cooked in marinara sauce till they’re melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious!
What are Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
Okay, so admittedly, cabbage rolls don’t sound like probably the most thrilling meal on the planet, nevertheless, they’re complete consolation meals! They’re Polish of their origination and so they mainly include cooked cabbage leaves wrapped round a meat filling. There are a bunch of various filling decisions on the market, however my favourite is a mixture of lean floor beef, brown rice, dried dill, onion, garlic, and only a trace of nutmeg.
The stuffed cabbage rolls are coated in marinara sauce after which slow-cooked within the oven till they’re melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious. For those who’ve by no means had them, then you definately’re in for a deal with! They’re particularly good throughout chilly winter days as a result of they may heat you proper up! For those who love stuffed cabbage rolls, then you definately’re positively going to like this Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup, this Beef and Cabbage Soup, and this Corned Beef and Cabbage Stew. They’re all so scrumptious!
Substances You Must Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
These components are hearty and collectively make such a scrumptious and filling dinner! See the recipe card on the backside of the submit for precise measurements!
- Cabbage: Inexperienced cabbage is what I used for this recipe!
- Floor beef: When is involves floor beef, I usually like to make use of a reasonably excessive fats ratio. Nevertheless, while you’re making one thing like stuffed cabbage rolls which have fairly just a few further components, you will get away with utilizing one thing a bit leaner. For this explicit recipe, I went with a 90/10 beef to fats ratio.
- Brown rice: I like utilizing brown rice as a result of it’s extra filling and a bit more healthy! However you should utilize lengthy grain white rice if that’s all that you’ve got!
- Garlic cloves: For those who don’t have any contemporary garlic cloves then you should utilize minced garlic. ½ tsp equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Onion: I prefer to mince my onion up into very superb items in order that I don’t have any massive chunks.
- Seasonings: I exploit salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, dill and nutmeg!
- Egg: Including an egg will assist bind all the components collectively.
- Marinara sauce: You need to use retailer purchased or you would strive making this scrumptious homemade marinara sauce.
Find out how to make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
This recipe is tremendous straightforward and can solely take you a couple of minutes to make! You’re going to have a tremendous meal very quickly!
- Preheat oven: Preheat oven to 350 levels.
- Pre-cook the cabbage: Carry a big pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt. Use a pairing knife to chop across the core. Gently pull off six leaves of cabbage, attempting to not break them. In the event that they tear a bit bit that’s okay. You too can submerge the entire head of cabbage within the boiling water for a couple of minutes to loosen up the leaves a bit earlier than pulling them off. Boil cabbage leaves, three at a time till very mushy and pliable, about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine up meat, sauce, spices and egg: Add the bottom beef, onion, garlic, ½ cup marinara, egg, salt, dill, nutmeg, and cooked brown rice to a medium bowl. Then, use your palms or a fork to combine the components simply till mixed.
- Fill cabbage leaves: Spoon half of the sauce within the backside of a 9×12 baking dish. Use the paring knife to chop the exhausting vein out of the cabbage. Spoon about ½ cup of the filling in the midst of every cabbage depart. Tuck the perimeters in and roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place within the ready pan seam-side down.
- Add the sauce: Cowl with remaining sauce.
- Cowl and bake: Cowl with foil after which bake till cabbage is tremendous mushy and meat is cooked by means of (for about 1 hour.)
Substitutions and Cooking Suggestions
There are just a few methods you could change these as much as make them work only for you! These Tried and True stuffed cabbage rolls are so scrumptious you could’t go incorrect!
- Meat: You need to use no matter beef you’d like! Floor sirloin, 85/15 – all of it works. You would additionally use floor turkey as a more healthy choice!
- Cinnamon: For an additional trace of heat, add it just a few dashes of cinnamon.
- Find out how to peel cabbage leaves so that they don’t rip: To make peeling the leaves off of the cabbage head even simpler, place the cabbage within the freezer for two hours. Pull it out and let it defrost. The leaves must be simpler to peel off.
- Don’t overlook to cowl it! Be certain to cowl the cabbage rolls with foil whereas baking. The steam helps the cabbage rolls develop into tremendous mushy and tender.
Cooking and Freezing Suggestions
There are just a few methods you could prepare dinner these stuffed cabbage rolls or put together them for later. Listed below are a few concepts for you!
- Can I make cabbage rolls within the sluggish cooker? Sure! These would really be PERFECT to make within the sluggish cooker. Simply assemble them precisely as in instructed, however within the sluggish cooker. Cook dinner on low for 7-8 hours or excessive for 3-4 hours.
- Freezing raw: Put together the cabbage rolls up till protecting them in marinara. Place the cabbage rolls on a baking sheet coated in parchment. Place within the freezer till frozen strong after which switch them to a ziplock bag that’s labeled with the date. They’ll keep frozen for as much as 2 months. When you find yourself able to prepare dinner them, take them out and place them within the fridge to thaw in a single day. Then, prepare dinner them accoring to the directions on the recipe card!
- Freezing absolutely cooked: Make the cabbage rolls from begin to end. Cool utterly. Place in an hermetic container and retailer within the freezer for as much as two months.
Preheat oven to 350 levels.
Carry a big pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt. Use a pairing knife to chop across the core. Gently pull off six leaves of cabbage, attempting to not break them. In the event that they tear a bit bit that is okay. You too can submerge the entire head of cabbage within the boiling water for a couple of minutes to loosen up the leaves a bit earlier than pulling them off. Boil cabbage leaves, three at a time till very mushy and pliable, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the bottom beef, onion, garlic, ½ cup marinara, Italian seasoning, egg, salt, dill, nutmeg, and brown rice to a medium bowl. Use palms or a fork to combine the components simply till mixed.
Spoon half of the sauce within the backside of a 9×12 baking dish. Use the paring knife to chop the exhausting vein out of the cabbage. Spoon about ½ cup of the filling in the midst of every cabbage depart. Tuck the perimeters in and roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place within the ready pan seam-side down. Cowl with remaining sauce.
Cowl with foil. Bake till cabbage is tremendous mushy and meat is cooked by means of for about 1 hour.
Initially Posted on January 22, 2020
Serving1cabbage rollEnergy221kcal (11%)Carbohydrates23g (8%)Protein22g (44%)Fats5g (8%)Saturated Fats2g (10%)Ldl cholesterol82mg (27%)Sodium1073mg (45%)Potassium933mg (27%)Fiber6g (24%)Sugar10g (11%)Vitamin A700IU (14%)Vitamin C64mg (78%)Calcium95mg (10%)Iron4mg (22%)
All dietary data relies on third social gathering calculations and is barely an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.